Home / Careers / College connection / Day in the Life / day in the life of a maintenance engineer intern

Day in the life of a Maintenance Engineer Intern

Day in the life of a Maintenance Engineer Intern


To get a sense of what a typical day is like for a Maintenance Engineering Intern, take a look at a day in the life of Jennifer, who worked at the plant in Barron, Wisconsin. This is an entry from her ninth week at Jennie-O Turkey Store.

7:00 a.m.
Arrive at work and start up my computer and turn on my 2-way radio. I check my company email to see what happened in the maintenance department on third shift. I check my daily schedule to see what supervisor I will be shadowing in the morning. Today, I will be shadowing Larry, the maintenance supervisor for the retail department. 

7:05 a.m.
I meet up with Larry and ask him how the morning has been going. Nothing major has happened. One belt on the duel line will only run freely going backwards and sticks running forward so one guy is working on replacing the belt.

9:00 a.m.
My time with Larry was spent walking around the retail portion of the plant listening for radio calls about broken equipment and checking in with the guys to see how repairs are coming. 

9:10 a.m.
Return to my desk and look to see what needs to get done for my project today.  My project is to find the pipe diameters for the water lines running through the plant.  After looking at the AutoCAD drawings, I print out a few maps of the rooms that I will be working in.

10:00 a.m.
While out in the plant I’m using ladders in order to reach and see what size pipes are throughout the plant.  Other tools that are useful are a flashlight and tape measure.  The water pipes have so far taken me through areas of the plant including the basement, by- products, evisceration, and primary.

11:00 a.m.
I return to my desk and begin updating the AutoCAD drawings with the pipe diameters I recorded. 

11:30 a.m.
Lunch break

12:00 p.m.
Return from lunch and get ready to go back out on the floor to record more pipe diameters. 

1:00 p.m.
While out on the floor I find that some of the pipes on the maps are not how they really are in the plant.  I take notes to change this when I get back to my desk. 

1:50 p.m.
I get back to my desk and check for any new emails.  I have not received any so I continue with AutoCAD to update the pipe diameters.

2:20 p.m.
Today our supervisor for boning is gone.  Because one of my job descriptions is to fill in for supervisors, I will be doing Matt’s daily paperwork.  I collect all the Team Members’ packets from the boning department and look through them, signing off on any work orders that are completed.  I also write any PMD’s (preventive maintenance deficiency) that need to get wrote up.


3:20 p.m.
Start some paperwork for a spill kit project I am working on.  I need to write up an inventory of each spill kit I had ordered.  This is so when the maintenance guys do pm checks on them, they know what belongs in them. 

3:50 p.m.
Talk to Paul about my spill kit sheets I typed up.  On the bottom of the sheet it says, “CONTACT PAUL IF MORE SUPPLIES ARE NEEDED.”  I just wanted to verify with Paul so he knew I was putting his name on the sheets.

4:00 p.m.
I check my email one more time then shut down my computer before I go home.