How to Brine a Turkey
A juicy turkey starts here
NOTE: Do NOT brine a turkey if the turkey has been enhanced with a solution.
1 (15 to 18-pound) JENNIE-O® All Natural Fresh Whole Turkey, thawed, giblets and neck removed
2 gallons ice cold water
2 cups kosher salt
¼ cup brown sugar
4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh sage
2 dried bay leaves
2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- Rinse the turkey in cool water.
- In a clean container large enough to hold the turkey, mix the ice cold water and remaining ingredients, stirring to dissolve salt.
- Submerge the turkey in the brine solution. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine. Rinse thoroughly under a slow stream of cold water. Pat skin and cavities dry. Discard brine.
- Roast turkey according to package directions.
Find more whole turkey basics here.