How to Cook a Whole Turkey
- Heat oven to 325°F. Remove neck, giblet and gravy packet, if applicable. These may be used to prepare gravy or stuffing.
- The plastic leg clamp should be left on during cooking.
- Place turkey on rack in shallow pan, breast side up, and loosely cover with foil. Remove foil after 1 hour of cooking.
- Roast until timer pops up and turkey is fully-cooked, 180°F as measured by a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh. ALWAYS confirm doneness with a meat thermometer. Juices should run clear.
- Let turkey stand 20 minutes before carving.
- For optimal safety, cook stuffing and turkey separately. If desired, add fully cooked stuffing to cooked turkey just prior to serving.
Approximate Oven Roasting Time at 325°F.
- 8-12 pounds, 3-1/2 hours to 4 hours.
- 12-18 pounds, 4-1/4 hours to 4-3/4 hours.
- 18-22 pounds, 4-1/2 hours to 5 hours.
- 22-24 pounds, 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 hours.
Wash hands and all items that come into contact with uncooked turkey.
Cooking a Turkey Breast
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place turkey breast on a rack in shallow pan.
- Roast skin side up at 325°F, using the times in the chart below and until meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 165°F.
- Juices should run clear.
- Let turkey breast rest for 15 minutes prior to carving.
Approximate oven roasting time at 325°F:
- 3-6 pounds, 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours
- 6-8 pounds, 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours