Colorful Turkey Stuffed Peppers
If you’re craving stuffed peppers, this is the recipe for you. Extra lean ground turkey and cheese make this dish irresistible. You can also make it using our lean mild turkey breakfast sausage roll for another delicious option.
- 2 bell peppers, preferably a mix of yellow, green or red
- ½ (16-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast or All Natural Turkey Sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt, if desired
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14½-ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes or seasoned diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup cooked white or brown rice
- ¾ cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- paprika, if desired
- fresh parsley, if desired
- Heat oven to 375°F. Cut bell peppers lengthwise through stems keeping stem halves intact to hold stuffing. Discard seeds and veins. Cook peppers in boiling salted water 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place peppers in ice water to stop cooking process. Drain peppers well and place cut side up in 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cook ground turkey as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Add onion, garlic, basil, salt, if desired, ground pepper, tomatoes, and rice; continue to cook 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through and most of the juices have reduced.
- Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in ½ cup cheese. Mound heaping ½ cup of mixture into each pepper half. Bake 20 minutes or until filling is hot and peppers are tender. Remove peppers from oven and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese on top of peppers. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley, if desired.
RECIPE NUTRITION INFORMATION
Always cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.Learn how to safely handle turkey