Stuffed Rio Grande Turkey Popper
You’ve never seen anything like this before: it’s a giant burger stuffed with jalapeños, crisp bacon and melted cheese that serves six. Perfect for a party or as a creative weeknight dinner.
- 1 (16-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced jalapeño peppers, drained
- ½ cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices JENNIE-O® Turkey Bacon, cooked and cut into ¼- pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- sour cream and salsa, if desired
- In bowl, combine ground turkey, oats, egg, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, onion, garlic powder and salt. Divide turkey mixture in half. On 2 (11 x 11-inch) pieces wax paper or parchment paper, shape each half into an 8-inch round patty.
- Arrange half jalapeño peppers in a spoke pattern over one formed patty. Top with cheese and bacon leaving a ½-inch border around the outside edges. Lay remaining sliced jalapeño peppers in spoke pattern over cheese. Carefully place remaining patty on top of pepper slices. Remove waxed paper. Press turkey layers together around edges to seal.
- In large skillet over medium heat, add oil and large patty. Cover. Cook 35 minutes, turning 2 or 3 times and until internal temperature reaches 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Always cook to well-done.
- Cut burger into 6 pie-shaped wedges. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
RECIPE NUTRITION INFORMATION
Always cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.Learn how to safely handle turkey