Turkey Breakfast Sausage Chilaquiles
Makes 8 servings
PREP 20 minutes
TOTAL Under 30 minutes
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce, if desired
- salt and pepper, if desired
- 1 (16-ounce) package JENNIE-O® All Natural Turkey Sausage
- 48 baked corn tortilla chips
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh
- 1 medium avocado, diced or ½ cup guacamole, if desired
- Chilaquiles is a classic Mexican dish, traditionally made with fried corn tortillas soaked in red or green salsa (sauce). It is usually topped with fresh Mexican cheese (queso fresco), onions, avocado and sometimes chicken. It can be served with refried beans and/or eggs, if desired. This recipe features better-for-you turkey breakfast sausage.
- In bowl of food processor or jar of a blender purée all sauce ingredients until smooth. Pour into a 2 quart sauté pan, simmer sauce, stirring, 3 minutes and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Keep warm. (Sauce may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.) Yield 6 cups.
- Cook turkey sausage as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Set aside.
- Assemble Chilaquiles in shallow dishes or soup bowls. Crumble 6 tortilla chips into each bowl. Top with ¾ cup very hot sauce. Sprinkle with ¼ cup turkey sausage crumbles. Garnish with onion, feta cheese, cilantro and avocado, if desired.
RECIPE NUTRITION INFORMATION
Always cook to an internal temperature of 165°F.Learn how to safely handle turkey